Empowered: Trans Women & HIV is hitting the road! The powerful new video series from Greater Than AIDS featuring trans women from across the U.S. speaking out about love, life and HIV will premiere for a global audience at AIDS 2016 – the International AIDS Conference – in Durban, South Africa, July 18 – 22, 2016.
JoAnne Keatley, Director of the UCSF Center of Excellence for Transgender Health, and Trans Advocate Blossom Brown, both of whom appear in the campaign, will present Trans Empowered during the luncheon plenary for “No more lip service!,” the pre-conference on transgender health on Sunday, July 17. An afternoon workshop will provide attendees with an opportunity to learn more about the campaign, including how they can use the assets to support their own outreach efforts.
A screening of the intimate and inspiring film that anchors the campaign will be shown on the main stage in the Global Village on the opening day of the conference on Monday, July 18. Later that afternoon, the campaign will be discussed on a panel organized by ViiV Healthcare, which funded the initiative, in the Positive Action Networking Zone.
Conference attendees can share how they are #TransEmpowered by taking a personalized picture at the photo booth in the Trans Networking Zone to share on social media.
And, Ms. Brown, who has appeared on the TV series I Am Cait and is a frequent voice for trans health and rights, will be reporting from AIDS 2016 for Greater Than AIDS. Stay tuned for more!
Not attending the conference? Follow live reports from the conference on @GreaterThanAIDS social platforms and using #TransEmpowered.
A complete schedule of events with locations and times is below. All activities take place at the Durban International Convention Centre.
Sunday, July 17 – “No More Lip Service!” Trans Pre-Conference
- “Speaking Our Truth! Empowered Trans Women & HIV” Featured presentation during luncheon plenary (1:15-1:45 pm; Session Room 7)
- #TransEmpowered Community Engagement Workshop (3:30-4:45 pm; BR13)
Monday, July 18
- Special Screening: “Speaking Our Truth! Empowered Trans Women & HIV” (10:00-10:30 am; Global Village Main Stage)
- The Empowered: Trans Women & HIV Campaign featuring Blossom Brown panel discussion – ViiV Healthcare’s Positive Action for MSM and Transgender Programme (12:00-2:00 pm; Positive Action Networking Zone)
Wednesday, July 20
- #TransEmpowered Community Dialogue (12:00-1:00 pm – lunch provided; Trans Networking Zone in the Global Village)
Empowered: Trans Women & HIV is new video series from Greater Than AIDS that gives voice to transgender women to share their own narrative about HIV, both the impact and response that is needed. By sharing common experiences, the campaign confronts social stigma, while promoting actions to improve health and well-being.
The campaign is produced by the Kaiser Family Foundation and the UCSF Center of Excellence for Transgender Health with funding provided by ViiV Healthcare’s Positive Action Programme. Learn more about the campaign.